I am an associate professor at the University of Copenhagen, Department of Computer Science, where I head the Copenhagen Natural Language Understanding research group as well as the Natural Language Processing section. My main research interests are fact checking, low-resource learning and explainability.
Before starting a faculty position, I was a postdoctoral research associate in Sebastian Riedel's UCL Machine Reading group, mainly investigating machine reading from scientific articles. Prior to that, I was a Research Associate in the Sheffield NLP group, a PhD Student in the University of Sheffield Computer Science department, a Research Assistant at AIFB, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and a Computational Linguistics undergraduate student at the Department of Computational Linguistics, Heidelberg University.
I currently hold a prestigious DFF Sapere Aude Research Leader fellowship on 'Learning to Explain Attitudes on Social Media', and am a member of the Danish Young Academy, a unit under the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters. I am also President of the ACL Special Interest Group on Representation Learning (SIGREP) which organises the Repl4NLP workshop series, and Vice President-Elect of SIGDAT which organises the EMNLP conference series. I am a co-founder of Widening NLP (WiNLP), and maintain the BIG Directory of members of underrepresented groups and supporters in Natural Language Processing.
- April 2022: 3 papers accepted to NAACL 2022, on counterfactual data augmentation, probing multilingual language models, and on stance detection!
- April 2022: Happy to share that our paper Fact Checking with Insufficient Evidence was accepted for publication in the TACL journal!
- February 2022: I left my part-time position as Deputy Head of Research and founding employee at the content moderation start-up Checkstep Ltd
- February 2022: Our paper on "Generating Scientific Claims for Automatic Scientific Fact Checking" was accepted to ACL 2022!
- January 2022: I will serve as a SIGDAT officer for the next three years, for this year in a role as Vice President-Elect. Thank you to everyone who voted for me!
- December 2021: Happy to share that our paper A Neighbourhood Framework for Resource-Lean Content Flagging was accepted for publication in the TACL journal!
- December 2021: I've passed the defence of my higher doctoral thesis (doktordisputats, habilitation) titled 'Towards Explainable Fact Checking' and have been awarded the title of doctor scientiarum (dr.scient.)!
- December 2021: 2 papers accepted to AAAI 2022, on diagnostics-guided explanation generation and few-shot cross-lingual stance detection!