I am a tenure-track assistant professor at the University of Copenhagen, Department of Computer Science since July 2017 and work in the general areas of Statistical Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning. I head the Copenhagen NLU research group, and am affiliated with the Machine Learning Section. My main research interests are weakly supervised and low-resource learning with applications including information extraction, machine reading and fact checking.
Before starting a faculty position, I was a postdoctoral research associate in Sebastian Riedel's UCL Machine Reading group, mainly investigating machine reading from scientific articles. Prior to that, I was a Research Associate in the Sheffield NLP group, a PhD Student in the University of Sheffield Computer Science department, a Research Assistant at AIFB, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and a Computational Linguistics undergraduate student at the Department of Computational Linguistics, Heidelberg University.
I co-organise the Copenhagen NLP meetup, maintain the BIG Directory of members of underrepresented groups and supporters in Natural Language Processing and am president of the ACL Special Interest Group on Representation Learning (SIGREP).
- May 2019: 2 papers accepted to appear at ACL 2019, on discovering probabilistic implications in typological knowledge bases as well as gendered language.
- April 2019: A 2-year postdoc position on question answering is available in the CopeNLU group, partly funded by a Megagon Labs faculty research award. Read more and apply here.
- February 2019: 3 papers accepted to appear at NAACL 2019! Topics span from population of typological knowledge bases and weak supervision from disparate lexica to frame detection in online fora.
- February 2019: 35 PhD fellowships are available at our faculty through the European Union's H2020 Marie Curie COFUND program. If you would like to work with me at the University of Copenhagen, apply here by 1 April and name me as advisor. More information is also available on the CopeNLU website. Informal enquries are encouraged.
- February 2019: I'm super excited to welcome Pepa Atanasova to Copenhagen as a new Marie-Curie PhD fellow!
- February 2019: I've started a website for my research group CopeNLU
- November 2018: I'm co-organising the 4th Workshop on Representation Learning for NLP (Repl4NLP) at ACL 2018
- November 2018: I'm co-organising the 2nd Workshop on Learning with Limited Labeled Data at ICLR 2019
- November 2018: Our work on Latent multi-task architecture learning was accepted to AAAI 2019!
- October 2018: I am president of the newly created ACL Special Interest Group on Representation Learning (SIGREP).
- September 2018: I'm co-organising the first Conference on Automated Knowledge Base Construction (AKBC), to take place 20-22 May 2019 in Amherst, MA